Use Common Sense When Using Over the Counter Pesticides

April 30th, 2009 by BugGuy

pesticide When the temperatures start warming up people start using over the counter pesticides (you can buy them in home stores) for a variety of things including weed control, pest control and even pools. It’s important to use caution when handing these products because they are still chemicals and can be pretty toxic.

Here are some basic tips to keep in mind, yes, they seem like common sense but you would be surprised.

  • Select the mildest product that will successfully correct the problem — Do you even need to use a chemical?
  • Store pesticides away from kids, pets and even adults (pdf) — dogs and other pets may eat any poison (such as rat poison) if left within their reach
  • Do not transfer the pesticides to containers that were once used to store food or may store food again. Keeping the chemicals in the original bottle, container, etc… is probably the best bet since the instructions and cautions are printed on the container
  • Mixing bleach with ammonia or other chemicals can cause a toxic gas so avoid mixing anything that could have a chemical reaction
  • Open windows, doors, etc… when working with pesticides in the home
  • If you start to feel ill, leave the treated area and seek medical attention if necessary

And don’t forget, select a product that treats the problem at hand and don’t forget to follow the instructions, they are there for a reason.

For more information on pesticide regulation, visit the California Department of Pesticide Regulation.

Posted in DIY Pest Control | No Comments »